Thursday, December 03, 2009

My First Softpencil Thursday!!

Hi everyone! I am SO super excited! I have been asked to join the Softpencil Design Team!! This is just amazing. I love Elizabeth's designs. I think they're just so adorable! Because I love them so much, I wanted to make sure I did a really good job on my first challenge, fever and nausea be darned!

This week we're working with calendar images. How appropriate for the end of the year, don't you think? I got to work with Spreading Fairy Dust, which I think is going to be perfect for my younger two girls. Our challenge was to use at least 2 layers. Well, I think I managed that!

I've double matted the calendar itself and then I did some paper piecing and layering within the image. I wanted it to be more dimensional - and I wanted to prove that just because it's a digital image, doesn't mean you can't paper piece! You CAN!! And no, I didn't print on patterned paper!!

I did a little cropping of the image, duplicated it onto a secondary file so that I could print just the fairy or just the house (actually, I printed 4 extra fairies and 2 extra houses, since I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do with them and I wanted extra in case of mistakes - not that I ever make mistakes or anything...) and then I cut out the parts that I wanted out of the DP and traced them with black ink (I used my Copic multiliner, but any fine lined marker would work) and that was all there was to it! I also popped up one of her wings for extra dimension.Here's a close-up so you can better see the dimension and the stickles. The colour is actually nearly identical to the first photo, but you can't see the stickles in it at all, so here you go. The background is shimmery chalk from Pebbles.

Go check out the rest of the design team and the main blog. There are eight new members of the team today! I still can't believe I'm one of them!! Yes, I'm giddy. I think I'm allowed!

Kerry
Cathy
Tracey
Ashley
Cat Darling
Jodi
Lisa
Mia
Tenia
April
Leanne
Carole
Annette
Guest Designers for December
Poppet
Dawn

Thanks for stopping by! Come back soon. I'll be posting blog candy this weekend in honour of hitting 100 followers!

10 comments:

Shell said...

Oh my that is so cute! What a great honor for you, you are so talented there is no real surprise.
Love that calendar!!

Ashley Newell said...

Super cute Carole! I love it!

Cat said...

What a great job on your first Softpencil Challenge! Beautiful coloring, and I love how that little wing pops up!

Kerry said...

Super cute Carole, I love her pretty dress, and I agree with Cat, her "popped" wings are awesome! Welcome to the team!

April said...

This came out sooooo great! I love that you paper pieced it. I had been wondering how I could do that a few weeks ago with something else....now I can see, it's not so hard!!!!

Elizabeth P said...

Oh Carole! I love the colours you used and your coloring on the image is so beautiful!!! It looks vintage and I love that!

Welcome to Softpencil DT!!!

Becky S. said...

Very cool Carole! its so cute... and it was a suprise to see your blog post on facebook, Thats great!

Leona said...

That is cool. How exciting to be asked to joing their team! How do you get the glitters and things to not be shaking off all the time and losing their brilliance.

I'm moving back to WA (been in Texas for four months without my stuff) and I can't wait to get reunited with my art things from card stock to friendly plastic :)
ONe of the things I'm going to try is a calendar. What calendar program did you use to print the calendar? I invested in a special photo printer that does up to 13 x 19 I think and haven't been able to try the more interesting features yet!

de said...

Congrats Carole! Love your calendar!

Cathy said...

Such a cute project!! Great job! Welcome to the team, we are lucky to have you! Hugs, Cathy