Friday, January 30, 2009

Eyelets 1, Carole 0

Good morning everyone. Happy Hip Hop Hangover!

I do not know what was wrong with me yesterday, but I worked on this one card all darned day! I just could not get it right to save my life. I was working on two challenges at once, so maybe that was my problem. First was the Unity Addicts Challenge from Wednesday. Lisa challenged us to make a card using blue, red, pink and yellow. Oh, and to make it all about love. Okay, says I. I can do that. No problem.

Well, then I saw Amber's sketch challenge for this week. I thought, why not combine the two. That's where I ran into trouble. My first problem was in trying to decide if a DP was okay to use if it had a little touch of green in it. I decided that would be cheating, so that was out. Then, which card to use as the background? I finally settled on yellow. Okay, which yellow?? Come back to that. Let's work on the main parts first.

Okay, then...we have our hearts stamped. Do we mount them on anything? I'm wishing I had Nesties about this point. I cut the cherry heart into an oval. WAAAAY too much white. Okay, so we'll fussy cut it. By this point, I'd chosen the card. The hearts changed it. They looked too stark against the original choice. Good thing I hadn't glued anything down yet! Change card, glue stuff down. Ooooh, I need to add a little something to that heart. So I stamped it on the patterned paper (from the Basic Grey Euphoria line, btw) and popped up the little bitty heart. Much better.

So, brads or eyelets. I don't have red brads, so eyelets it is. Remember, I'm trying to follow the sketch and it asks for 3 "somethings" down either side. I totally bungled the eyelets. I mean they looked awful. It's only the second time I've used the cropadile and my hands are shaking and I can't hold anything steady. Marks on the card? They no longer matter when the card slips. I put them all in just in case and try to figure out just how I'm going to compensate for that extra hole I've now got.

Well, yeah. I did say extra hole. I should've taken a "before" picture. I covered it all up with Prima flowers. Three on each side, so it stuck with the sketch. And it brought in more of the yellow. Yes, you can see a peek of one of the eyelets in the photo, but I've adjusted the petals and used glossy accents to glue them in place so none can be seen. I may go back and add a little bling to the centres of the top-most flowers.

So that's my little adventure. Hope I made at least one person smile. Have a great weekend everybody!

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Lovely card Carole! I can't use eyelets either!

Jacqueline said...

I love it!! at least you had an adventure and story about this card with the eyelets!! :)

Sherry said...

This card is really pretty!! Sorry it took you so long to make- but it is beautiful!!

Olde Country Creations said...

Well at the end of your adventure you created a very pretty card! :) Thanks for the story behind your card, that always makes it interesting. :)


(((hugs)))


Tonya

Lisa F said...

It is really really pretty! I wasn't ever able to figure out eyelets until I got my crop-a-dile, now it's fairly easy!

My Angel said...

Beautiful Card...

Staci K. said...

It looks like all of your troubles paid off - it's a very pretty card!